Hull mounted sonar
HUNTER 2.0 is a hull mounted sonar carrying out anti-submarine warfare (ASW) in active and passive modes in shallow and deep waters for panoramic detection of submarines and other objects.
HUNTER 2.0 is a hull mounted sonar providing active and passive surveillance, analysis and classification capabilities. The system features a forward looking mine avoidance mode as well.
To ensure the active detection of targets, HUNTER 2.0 features Doppler Detection and coherent FM processing. Doppler detection allows the operator to filter stationary echo information and display only moving targets. Due to the high Doppler resolution of HUNTER 2.0, even slow moving submarines or AUVs can be detected. FM pulses are processed coherently by the system, providing the very high distance resolution required for the classification of targets and the detection of mines in mine avoidance mode. A confidence filter cleans up the display, removes echo information from surface reflections and reduces the probability of false alarms. Targets are automatically detected and tracked by the system, although the operator is able to set
up targets manually.
The passive mode of HUNTER 2.0 includes LOFAR, broadband and DEMON processing. The system automatically identifies fast moving objects as torpedoes and delivers a torpedo warning. The tuneable audio channel supports the operator in the classification of underwater targets and noise sources. Significant traits of detected signals can be compared to classification database entries.
HUNTER 2.0 is the most cost effective and best performing solution for new and modernisation programmes for destroyers, frigates, corvettes or offshore patrol vessels (OPV). Various transducer configurations are available with operating frequencies ranging from 4 kHz to 30 kHz. The optional intercept array allows the detection of active transmissions up to a frequency of 100 kHz. The open-architecture-based middleware of
HUNTER 2.0 reduces the burden on the customer to integrate additional functionalities. These can be developed by the customer themself or it might be a 3rd party functionality from another supplier.
Main benefits of HUNTER 2.0
- localisation of underwater contacts for ensuring underwater situational awareness
- localisation of mines for mine avoidance
- detection of AUVs and midget submarines
- sonar pulse intercept detection / torpedo warning
- full passive sonar suite with broadband, LOFAR and DEMON processing included
- automatic target detection, tracking and forwarding to combat management system (CMS) and fire control equipment
- classification of underwater targets by various HMI sub windows and tuneable audio channel
- available as a standalone or fully integrated version by consequential use of open architecture middleware based on OpenDDS
- onboard simulator, raw data recording and reprocessing for training or post mission analysis to keep operators trained in ASW scenarios
- sonar performance prediction of the day for accurate situational awareness
- performance monitoring and fault localisation (PMFL) down to LRU level
- suited for new built programs and refits
Key features of HUNTER 2.0
- simultaneous search, track and classification
- simultaneously active and passive
- CW Doppler and coherent FM processing
- torpedo warning
- fully electronical roll and pitch stabilisation /compensation
HUNTER 2.0 is a medium-frequency hull mounted sonar providing active and passive surveillance, analysis and classification capabilities. The processing software uses open-architecture-based DDS, enabling the addition of third-party applications and hosting on alternative common processing platforms.
We understand the requirements needed for different operational scenarios.
We have pre-configured our products to use as stand-alone solutions or integrated system parts.
Open sonar suite for submarines
Hull mounted sonar
Passive sonar system for distress localisation
Mine avoidance sonar for submarines
Digital and analogue underwater communication
Naval echo sounder system for surface vessels
Navigation Echo Sounder
Medium-depth multibeam system for mapping the continental rise
Full ocean depth multibeam system
Deep water multibeam system
A sonar system
as unique as your fingerprint
You want to learn more about Sphere® by ELAC SONAR, its efficiency and the technical specifications? Get in contact with us and design a sonar solution as unique as your fingerprint.