Mine avoidance sonar for submarines
SCOUT 2.0 is the most flexible solution for obstacle and mine detection on board of a submarine. The split transmitter and receiver arrays allow integration in virtually any bow design. The outstanding performance against moored mines and MLOs makes SCOUT 2.0 the first choice.
SCOUT 2.0 makes submarine operations in dangerous areas safer. This forward looking Mine and
Obstacle Avoidance Sonar (MOAS) offers high-performance detection of mines and objects in the water
column, below the surface and on the seafloor with sufficient range to avoid hazardous outcomes. Numerous navies currently operate the system in different configurations.
Flexibility is the key
SCOUT 2.0 is operated on newly built submarines as well as on modernised ones. The modular design of components allows a flexible integration of the transmitter and receiver array as well as the inboard electronics. Control and display may be integrated in a dedicated console or multi-function control consoles already on board. In addition to Mine Like Object (MLO) detection, SCOUT 2.0 offers features such as bottom mapping for forward looking terrain charting and an optional surfacing mode to avoid collision with silent objects. ELAC SONAR‘s experience in designing and producing highly specialised transducers is a valuable asset in the process of integrating the arrays into the submarine‘s bow. The arrays can be adapted according to the available space between the torpedo tubes and other sensors in order to guarantee the best possible fit. Like all naval systems offered by ELAC SONAR, SCOUT 2.0 has been designed, built and certified in accordance with military standards, ensuring the highest possible availability and reliability of the system.
Conformal array design for a perfect fit
The transmitter and receiver arrays are the core components of SCOUT 2.0. Their shape may be adapted to the position in the bow, resulting in the maximum performance and minimum flow noise. The arrays are designed to withstand extreme shock loads without any shock mounts. The advantage is a perfect integration without the necessity for acoustic windows. The transmitting, receiving and processing units are two separate electronic boxes that may be installed in the electronics room. These units include all electronics for the system’s operation. Special attention has been paid to limit the size of the two cabinets. This eases the integration on board of existing submarines. Fast maintenance and repair is supported by easy access to the PCBs inside the cabinets and a clear, well-structured layout.
The open-architecture-based middleware of SCOUT 2.0 reduces the burden on the customer to integrate additional functionalities. These can be developed by the customer themself or it might be a 3rd party functionality from another supplier.
Main benefits of SCOUT 2.0
- 3D detection of MLOs in the water column, on,the surface and on the sea floor
- forward looking bottom mapping, including the functionality to generate persistent maps that can be exchanged between submarines
- surface mapping mode to safeguard surfacing operations
- automatic target detection, tracking and forwarding to combat management system (CMS)
- raw data recording and reprocessing for training or post mission analysis
- available as a standalone or fully integrated version by consequential use of open architecture middleware based on OpenDDS
- sonar performance prediction of the day for accurate situational awareness
- performance monitoring and fault localisation (PMFL) down to LRU level
- suited for new built programs and refits
Key features of SCOUT 2.0
- detection range up to 5000 yards
- coherent FM processing and a high bandwidth for outstanding shallow water performance
- due to the high dynamics range, analogue gain control is no longer needed.
- qualified in accordance with MIL-STD and German Navy standards
- open-architecture-based middleware (OpenDDS)
We understand the requirements needed for different operational scenarios.
We have pre-configured our products to use as stand-alone solutions or integrated system parts.
Open sonar suite for submarines
Hull mounted sonar
Passive sonar system for distress localisation
Mine avoidance sonar for submarines
Digital and analogue underwater communication
Naval echo sounder system for surface vessels
Navigation Echo Sounder
Medium-depth multibeam system for mapping the continental rise
Full ocean depth multibeam system
Deep water multibeam system
A sonar system
as unique as your fingerprint
You want to learn more about Sphere® by ELAC SONAR, its efficiency and the technical specifications? Get in contact with us and design a sonar solution as unique as your fingerprint.